2007/10/20

A Family Affair, the Sequel: 5 year old completes 5K Again!

The 5 year old and I completed a 5 K this morning. His second one! This time we had a strategy, we were going to run for 5 min, walk for 1. And then run 4 walk 1 (to make time-keeping easier). And we did that, with a few extra walking breaks for good measure in the 96% humidity.

Here is how it went down:
3.21 miles
43:49 (13:39/mile)
Temp: 57 Humidity: 96%

Mile 1 - 12:40
Mile 2 - 13:47
Mile 3 - 14:12 (we had a thrilling sprint to the finish, my boy & me, BUT....

...I forgot to shut off the Garmin for about a minute while we wandered cluelessly out of the chutes, but I am not going to try the fuzzy math to figure out the "real" time that might have shaved a minute or so off:-))

I was so proud of my son, he listened and stayed with me, and was polite to everyone and just loved the whole thing. We had our matching tye-dye shirts, and when the Finish Line came into site he took off! Folks at the finish were yelling at him, "Come on, beat your Mommy!!!" just the cutest thing:-) What a great morning. (edited to add: And this 5K added a "7 and under" age group, my son earned second place!! I was verklempt, I tell you! [Photo is blurred on purpose for safety sake])

Our last 5K in June on the same course was 48:40-ish. I think a 5 min improvement is a good accomplishment for us, no??

5 commentaires:

J~Mom a dit…

That is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!! What a wonderful memory you have together now!!

Anne a dit…

Wow, what a grand time. And to medal while your son's at it. Must have been Mom's pacing that did the trick. Nice job, you two.

teacherwoman a dit…

How fun is that! great mother/son bonding time!

Wes a dit…

Yay! What a great way to run a race, and the kiddo rocks!!! Way to go!!

Christie a dit…

Wow. That's great!!