2007/07/07

HH Intermdiate 5K - Week 1, Day 4

Got up at 6:30 again...on a Saturday...in the summer...

5 miles
1:08:16 (13:39/mile)

Here are the splits. Not quite negative, but notice that fastest last mile, woo hoo!

Mile 1 - 13:18
Mile 2 - 13:42
Mile 3 - 14:15
Mile 4 - 13:55 (2 min walking break instead of 1 min at the beginning of this mile)
Mile 5 - 13:03 (a sprint to the finish--10:10 pace the last minute-ish!)

I have been concentrating more on HR and effort and less on pace as I work on this HH plan. With the past 2 months of very little running, I want to start up again slowly and just start getting miles in--and I want to actually finish each run and not burn out.

This run: I tried to keep telling myself to start slow, that slow & steady finishes the race. I so wanted to give up in the 2nd and 3rd miles. I was just tired, HR was high with a slow pace. Then I turned onto a busy street with a lot of shade and the cars created a SUPER breeze--that seemed to energize me. I just stayed there the rest of the run and I think the cool breeze and fast pace of the cars really helped me finish strong. There was also the definite mental hurdle of "3 miles"--after I hit that, I kind of felt like I was almost there.

HH originally called for a 3 miler to day and 5 miler tomorrow but I flip-flopped them since I have church & rehearsal tomorrow. So one 3 miler to go tomorrow and that will wrap up HH Intermediate 5K Week 1!

6 commentaires:

Amy a dit…

6:30...on a Saturday...in the summer...you are so much more motivated than I am!!!! Can you send me some of that motivation???? :)

Wes a dit…

Yes! Trust the HRM. Have you calculated your zones? You should stay in Zone 2 for your long runs. It will make the run and you feel so much better.

J~Mom a dit…

Great job!!! Getting up on Saturdays is so hard for me!!

MNFirefly a dit…

That's awesome! Great job!

jeanne a dit…

i'm so impressed!!! well done. I have to get my act together!

Anonyme a dit…

sounds like you're run went great! keep it up you very dedicated runner :)