2007/03/31

Went the HM Distance Today



I am so happy--I did 13.6 miles! But I am just sick. The Garmin "ate" my 13.6 mile workout. Gone. My splits? Gone. My true time? Gone. My official pace? Gone. :-( This is a guestimate, it's pretty close the time, I am sure of it. I slowed it down just a bit early on since I knew I was going the furthest I have ever gone and wanted to make sure I would have enough in the tank to make it. I know some of my last few miles were 12:06, 12:30, 12:50 (that was mile 12, legs were starting to get a little sore), so I must keep remembering to take it easy early on.

13.60 miles
2:52:00 (12:38/mile)

More lessons learned on a long run:
1. Drinking: Stop drinking much longer before the run. I still made 3 potty breaks:-( I stopped my Garmin each time, but if this had been the actual race, I might have gone over 3 hrs:-(
2. Bring a buck or two. I went to the bathroom at a coffee shop & swore I would come back & buy coffee if they let me use their bathroom (they did, mercifully).
3. Gel. I need one midway. I ate nothing during the run and drank maybe 10 sips in all. Not enough, I know. I didn't keel over or anything, but I could have used a little extra energy.

So I have now covered the distance. I am feeling a little sore, but just about ready for the HM, four weeks from tomorrow!

13 commentaires:

Wes a dit…

I'm not going to let a little technical snafu tarnish an otherwise amazing run! Woo hoo! That is fantastic!!!!! The more long runs you do, the better you get with drinking and nutrition. With four weeks left, you got time for that 15 miler ;-) Congratulations!!! You are an amazing runner.

Full Metal Lunchbox a dit…

Congratulations on the 13.6 miles!  You are truly a "distance runner" now.

You are going to do terrific in your first 1/2 coming up.

And then... considering anything bigger?  Full marathon?

Anonyme a dit…

Hi - I found you via Team HM Express. Anyway, I'm impressed that you ran the 1/2 distance a whole month before the run. You are so ready! How great to have time to experiment with how much to drink, etc. Good luck with your 1/2!

Dori a dit…

That's great! Some half-M training plans don't have you go 13 miles before the race, but I like to know I can do the distance. You are really rocking!

MNFirefly a dit…

Nice job! You still did it!

Neese a dit…

I am grinning ear to ear! WOW!! not 13.1 but 13.6!! This was probably good to do because you now know what to tweak in terms of nutrition and water intake, etc. I just ordered some GU today from amazon.com they have a 24pk variety pack. Even after shipping it works out to be about the same as getting them locally if not cheaper. Here's the URL: http://tinyurl.com/yuevf9

Taunya a dit…

Congrats! You learned important lessons on your run and that's great! You'll do all the better next time.

Anne a dit…

There are far worse things than a little technical glitch. Important thing is you -- your body, not your GPS -- went the distance. The HM is gonna be a cinch now.

boatgirl a dit…

Yeah!!! I am so excited for you and in good time too. That is great!! Now just go out there and have fun.

teacherwoman a dit…

Nice job on the HM run! I remember doing some long runs last summer. I would carry a couple bucks so I could by a powerade. I would also map out my run so I could purchase a powerade and take a potty break at a gas station along the way!

I love reading what you have learned from your runs! I might have to do that when I get my mileage up there!

Anonyme a dit…

WAY TO GO! I'm sorry to hear about the Garmin glitch. But who cares?! You did it! I didn't run that distance before my first HM, so I think you are a rock star. Your HM will be terrific.

jeanne a dit…

congrats! Nice job!

Amy a dit…

That is awesome!!!!

Can you believe how far you've come????

I can!!!!!