I ended up wearing a (non-athletic) windbreaker because it was so darn freezing cold and wet. Baseball hat and jacket were soaked at the end, though mercifully the rain took a break for the hour I was on the course (it's Thanksgiving, I must say thanks for that).
But I made it to the end! Woo hoo! I am an 8Ker:-)
Rough first mile, I was freezing, legs felt like ice cubes. But each mile seemed to get easier (is that possible?). Maybe it was the people around me, the cops holding back traffic and the town residents blaring stereos, all yelling "Happy Thanksgiving, you're doing great!" Maybe it was the middle-aged guy and the younger chick I kept trading places with through five miles. Here are the splits, courtesy of my handy-dandy Timex:
- Mile 1: 11:11
- Mile 2: 12:00 (while running I unpinned number, removed jacket, and repinned number, all with my cellphone in my mouth--an amazing feat while in motion!)
- Mile 3: 11:12
- Mile 4: 11:06
- Mile 5: 10:49
- TOTAL TIME: 56:20 (-ish) (approx mid-800th place out of 899 runners)
Great race, great community support of the event. I knew DH & kiddos were not going to come since it was a) a day off, b) something I registered for just a few days ago, and c) crummy weather... and I did just fine being there alone:-)
Moreover, I was FINE at the end of the run. I actually could have gone further, despite the icky weather (never thought I would say that I could have gone further). So I came to the realization today that (barring a catastrophe) I will be able to complete a half marathon. I won't light the HM course on fire, but I have gained a world of confidence today!!! Today I have taken one big step (in my mind, anyway) toward the HM, mission accomplished. Next up sometime in the future...who knows, a 10K, why not?




13 commentaires:
WOOHOO!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!!!! YOU ROCKED IT!!!!!!!!!!
Negative splits and all!! Way to go! I am so excited for you!
YaayyyyyY! Congrads!
CONGRATULATIONS! You did great-- and with those weather conditions. I have no doubt you'll be able to not only do a 10K, but a half as well.
Nice job on the 8k! Way to go!
Negative splits is exactly how you want to do it. I'm super proud of you!
Very cool you actually got to meet an Olympian!
OMG! i am grinning from ear to ear! this is so AWESOME! girl you did it!! that's a GREAT finish time for an 8k!, simply awesome! and the negative splits are the cherry on the sunday! i say DO look for that 10k and HM? NO PROBLEM! WAHOOOOOO!!!!
i mean "sundae", duh :) ;)
Negative solits on your first 8K- that's pretty cool! Congratulations.
Stupid bloglines didn't even list this entry. Grrrrr....
Congrats on finishing the 8K! That's great! Stumbled across your blog and enjoyed reading.
Congratulations!!! What a fantastic time. And negative splits? You rock!
You're doing this the proper way -- building up slowly but surely. You're right. That half marathon is going to ROCK.
Great time!! Congrats
Enregistrer un commentaire