I am again reassessing my performance in this weekend's 5K, and in what I want to accomplish, now that I am a Two-Time 5Ker:)
DH: Proud of me for up and deciding to start running 4 months ago, and for setting goals and achieving them:-) Opines I should speed up the 5K's a bit before I aspire to bigger distances like 8K or HM. I poo-pooed him, thought he was being negative.
Phys Ed Teacher/Coach/Colleague at School: Congratulates me for starting from scratch 4 months ago, setting some goals and achieving them. Opines I should speed up the 5K's a bit before I aspire to bigger distances, too! All I could think was, "Et tu, Brute?" Thinks I should get that 36:xx time (which, truth be told, was really nearly 37, I checked my results online), down to 32:xx before I move on. Thinks it's time for some speed work! Ha! I like this guy, respect his achievements and qualifications, so I'm giving this serious thought (my dh just loves that I poo-pooed his opinion but am considering the phys ed teacher's opinion, but he understands--he only let one "I told you so" slip out, lol).
Took a trial run at speedwork tonight, and it beat the snot out of me, so I ended up run/walking, sigh. In my first run 4 walk 1 cycle, I tried a speed burst (is that a fartlek?) of about 135.32 yds, felt like I was flying...then, yikes, out of breath! Ran slowly to get my lungs back but I was beat. I could not WAIT for my walk breaks from that point on, and even wimped out and took 2 min walk breaks after 4 minute runs...was pooped, glad I finished.
2.04 miles
Ran 4 walked 1, then 4/2, 4/2, ran 2:34
22:34 (11:03/mile--got my pace down a little)
So I'm still reassessing. I think I'll put that Thanksgiving 8K on the back burner for awhile, and maybe even that HM for awhile. I am not at all dejected or disappointed, just reflecting on how to proceed...
I Leave You With This
Il y a 8 mois



7 commentaires:
I don't know... Everything I've read says you should build up a good base before starting speed work. Your speed will improve as you build endurance. I highly recommend John "the Penguin" Bingham's books "No Need for Speed: A Beginner's Guide to the Joy of Running." It takes him something like 6 hours to run a marathon, but he does it anyway.
I agree with b. You need to build your endurance by running further. Who cares what your time is at this point on an 8K or 10K. By building endurance, this will let you run faster on the shorter distances. I know. I see this every weekend when I am doing soccer matches. Galloway recommends waiting a YEAR before starting speedwork. It's all about the journey, and not getting injured. We are all so delighted for you. I will not OPINE you :-)
My very non-professional opinion is that you should do whatever sounds like the most fun to you. You want to stay motivated and not fall into a "have to" slump. Either way you are doing awesome and I can't wait to see what you do because I am about two or three months behind you and you can inspire me. :>)
I'm with the others on this one. Do what's best for you. Are you trying to win or stay fit? Guys can be very comptetitve and the numbers show, in their head, that you've improved. But if you notice being a sprinter requires different training than being an endurance athlete. I am doing a HM in April for maintenance, and my goal is to run straight through. This will delight me and my DH. But we are not concerned about speed at this time, just endurance. I guess it depends on what you think is important, IMHO.
well the key thing is, you ARE a runner :) how cool is that? :) you seem to really enjoy it and that is good. ultimately you know your body best, and your goals... you can train for a marathon right now if you wanted to! there are no laws about it you just need to go with how YOU feel..so. just listen to your own body, etc and do what feels right for you. that said, congrats on your new venture into speedwork!
You sounds like you have a great pace so far. The endurance will come with more running plus some cross-training too. Look at what I have accomplished. :)
I definately think you should do whatever sounds more fun/interesting to you.
Let your goals be your own goals, and not those of someone else.
Run and have fun!
Enregistrer un commentaire