2006/09/29

HH 5K Novice - Week 7, Day 3

Went out at night. It was cool 50-ish, and low humidity 68%. It was a great run. I did not doubt for a second that I would finish the whole 5K. The only question was how fast. That is a cool feeling:-)

5 km
34:47 (11:11/mile)

I only ran at night this time because I was too lazy to get up tomorrow morning. Got a busy day planned .

I have also decided to bag the Newport-Liberty Run in favor of something that my dh and kids can come to. I think I'll be running a smaller local race in North Jersey in which I know (from last year's stats) I will be one of the last finishers. At first that was a big NO WAY, but the more I think about it, the more I am happy with MY progress and will try very hard not to measure it against all the hardcore, long time runners. I can live with finishing last if I do ok (i.e., run the whole thing, beat my first race time of 40:14).

And my HS students are now asking me every day, "Hey, did you jog this morning?" "Yep," I reply, proudly:-) One told me this morning that I need to start doing sprints, and I told him I am not there yet, just trying to survive & finish right now:-)

10 commentaires:

Wes a dit…

Awww, shucks! You are gonna beat that first time hands down. Look how far you've come! Just as an FYI, Galloway recommends hills right now. Speed training after a year. But to each his/her own!! Don't worry about where you finish. Rock your PR!!

Liv a dit…

It sounds trite, of course, but the greatest race is against yourself, right? So love, worship, and admire the speedy, but just keep truckin' at your own steady pace.

Thanks for visiting my blog! :)

Taunya a dit…

Great job! You're really improving leaps and bounds!

Anonyme a dit…

That looks like an awesome 5K! Sounds like fun to take the family! I am not sure I can get my kids out of bed to go to the races here. LOL

Anonyme a dit…

You'll blow your last time with no problem!!

Sonia a dit…

Just discovered your blog through Liz's... =)

Great job on the 5K run, keep up that running and you'll do a sub 30 mins 5K very soon!!! =)

Mrs. Snark a dit…

Wow, look at that pace, that is great! I like the small, local 5ks in my area, too. And at this point, I don't feel like I have to "prove" anything to anyone and neither should you! Like you said, you're racing for yourself. Have fun adn that's what counts!

Dori a dit…

You're doing great! It is very hard to not measure our performance with other runners. When I do that it cheapens my accomplishment, so I try not to do that anymore. Looks like your students are taking note--maybe you'll inspire them to get more active.

Unknown a dit…

Hi - I just stumbled across your blog and wanted to wish you well. I like to think of it as me against the race course - that way I don't need to concern myself with how well I do compared to others. Every time you get out and run, you are a winner!!

Neese a dit…

sounds like a good plan, and i think it's great you think of the possible last place scenerio like you do, because hey at least you are out there running it! you WILL get a personal record no doubt though!