2006/08/26

HH 5K Novice - Week 1, Day 3 - Walking Helps Running, Whoddathunkit?

First evening run in about two months. Didn't want to get up this morning in the cloudy rain. It was harder to run at night with the uneven sidewalks and creepy shadows!

Tried a slightly different tack this evening--Wes sent me to a few links talking about the benefits of walk/running, à la Galloway. So instead of running the whole 1.5 miles straight, I ran 5 min, walked 1--and shaved nearly a whole minute off the time it took to cover that distance. NOT that I am running for time right now, I am really running for distance, but geez, if I can do the same distance in a little less time, well then, by golly, this might be a good idea, these walking breaks.

So, here are the stats:
1.55 miles
17:07 (11:02/mile)

I pushed a little harder in the run segments because I knew the walk break was coming. But I don't think I am a fan of night running, I like a little light under my feet!

8 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

I don't know what I'm going to do after the time change when it's dark in the morning and evening. I'm too jittery for night running. You made great time! I'm currently reading "No Need For Speed" by John "The Penguin" Bingham. Great book. I find myself constantly thinking, "Yeah! That's me too!" He also advocates the run/walk technique.

Mrs. Snark a dit…

Great run! The walk break thing really works, doesn't it. I'll be using the Galloway method for my training runs for a while in prep for the 15k. Same interval as you probably 5 to 1.

I run almost exclusively in the dark -- there are little headlamps you can wear if it bothers you. I don't have one yet, but I think I might get one. But I kinda of like the dark...

Neese a dit…

when i first began running i followed a program that did a similar thing with run/walk/run/walk .... and it was designed to build you up to running 30 minutes without stopping.... but i think galloway wants you to run/walk always even after you've run awhile, which fits some people.... i'd rather run the whole distance, just a personal thing. everyone is differnt.

Wes a dit…

The bad thing about running in the evening is it is still hot! At least in the morning, its in the 70's, while in th evening here, its in the high 80's and comming down. The nice thing about run/walk, is you can just increase your run time, and still walk a minute, if you are up to it/feeling good! Right now, I'm pretty much doing 5/1 or 4/1 all the time. Good job on the run!

Amytrigirl (aka Amybee) a dit…

I'm a huge believer in walk/run....always have been. The "offical" Galloway method helped me complete 2 marathons (and hopefully my 3rd this fall) plus several 1/2 marathons. For distances less than that, I don't do the offical "run X walk X" method.

You'll probably find out very soon that the Run/Walk method is very controversial in running circles.


I think you post on CoolRunning.com and when ever this subject comes up on the boards, it ususally becomes a "flaming" post within about 5 mintues.

The speedsters generally complain about how we "cheapen" events because we aren't running the whole way.

I say poop on them. They are long gone by the time I hit the finish line and I run the same 13.1 or 26.2 or 5K or 10K that they do.

Running at night: Lots of experience with that too: there are tons of reflective things you can buy: arm bands with blinking lights; vests; clothes with reflective stripes; carry flashlights, etc. All of them help you be seen out there on the road.

The only other really important thing about running in the dark is that if you are running in the street, run along the side of the street so you are facing traffic. (Meaning, you are running against traffic, not with it). It will be much easier for you to see the cars than for them to see you. If you get in trouble, you can leap out of the way since you see it coming.

Enough babble... enjoy your week!

Anonyme a dit…

I just came across your blog while reading some running info. Congrats on your first 5K!

I have been running in the day light all summer and will now be going to night time runs. I am a little nervous as well -- but it is the only time that I can get some miles in. I am getting ready for a 5K in October.

boatgirl a dit…

I'm a firm believer of the run/walk for the long runs. It has helped me in terms of being able to run shorter distances much easier. Keep it up. You're doing great

Taunya a dit…

I can't do the longer runs without walking intervals. It's a good way to ramp up your fitness health, get your miles in and not injure yourself.