2006/08/19

First 5K is in the books

Here are the positives...
  • I finished the 5K
  • I survived
  • I was not last
  • I finished jogging
  • Stomach minded its manners
  • My 4 yr old ran to the finish with me
  • My husband came out with kids to cheer me on:-)
Now the reality check. I walked a lot. A lot more than I wanted to, or planned to. Here is the bottom line:
5 km
40:40 (13:05/mile)
I came in 620-ish of 670-ish overall; bottom 1/9th of all the women

I need to reassess my running goals. I mean, I finished. But I walked--a lot. Tried to run 10 min then walk a minute, that worked the first go 'round, but I had to walk again before I got to 20 min, and I walked a LOT in the last mile. Hmmm. Perhaps I should try running 5 min/walking 1 and build up from there? Hmmmm. I'll take a day or two to ponder this.

In the meantime, I am thrilled I finished, am grateful for the support of my husband and kids who got up mighty early so I could run by a nice, flat beach, and for the well-wishes from you inspiring folks in the blogsphere.

So here are the pix (you will rarely see pix of me on the internet, I am paranoid like that, but this race was a big deal for me).
1. Mid-race, about 1.25 miles in.


2. The Finish Line...my son accompanied me to the finish (until a race ref told him not to run in the chutes, which I understand). He wanted to race, too!


3. Post-race. Weird thing happend after I went through the chutes. I was suddenly very aware of many people (who had already finished, most likely) milling about and I couldn't breathe! I was inhaling but I could not take in enough air. I wasn't hyperventilating or fainting or anything, just not getting air. I navigated through the sea of people to the railing overlooking the Atlantic and bent over for about 30 sec to get the blood rushing to my head, and all was well after that. Surreal. And I momentarily empathized with asthmatics, weird.

13 commentaires:

Bri a dit…

The first and foremost goal is to (1) start the race and you did just that, the second is (2) to finish it and you should be congratulated again for that too. Very good, I just started reading your blog, and I was thrilled to hear about your accomplishment today. Atta way to go!

Anonyme a dit…

I've been checking all day for a race report. You may not have done as well as you anticipated, but it's a huge deal that you got out there and did in the first place. Congratulations!! This first race is mostly a learning experience anyway. Now you know what works for you.

Mrs. Snark a dit…

YAY! We did it! Love the new name, too funn! You look great out there -- I have that same shirt but you look so much better in it! I bet that adrenaline and nerves affected you like they did me (not so mugh positive), but your still did GREAT! We just need to keep running and we'll get better and better!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Taunya a dit…

I think you did great! On your first races all that matters is that you started it....finishing is a bonus. Don't worry about the times just yet.

You looked great, btw.

Wes a dit…

Fan-freakin-tastic. You go ahead and re-evaluate your running goals. You'll probably do that like 100 times over your career. You absolutely kicked butt on your first 5-K, and I wouldn't let the time or the place you finished affect you what so ever. You've got a foundation on which to build now, and your family is excited with you. I can't think of anything better today.

Anne a dit…

Excellent effort! Congratulations on becoming a road racer. Racer being a highly interpretive word. Glad the race went so well and that your family was there to witness and document with pictures your big feat.

Amytrigirl (aka Amybee) a dit…

congrats there Race Girl!

Nice job!

When is the next one?

Neese a dit…

congratulations!!! and i love your run outfit :D great finish and wonderful support from your family, you will eventually be able to run without stopping it takes time.

MNFirefly a dit…

Way to go. 5K racing is HIGHLY addictive and fun. Awesome time.

Dori a dit…

Congratulations on your accomplishment! You look great in the pictures, like you were enjoying yourself. Go 5Ker.

Lora a dit…

You did it!! That is all that counts! Love that you changed your name too!!

Which race is next????

boatgirl a dit…

Congratulations! The key is that you finished. Also, your kids will catch on too and be the better for it. What a great thing to teach them in regards to accomplishing your goals. Keep it up!

Silly Old Bear a dit…

Yay for you!!

(I came here from a link in your sig at cool running, btw)

As for your 5K results, here's mine (from last weekend, my first) to compare:

I did it in 37:42, and ran the whole damn thing (except for twenty steps up a hill). So don't beat yourself up over walking, you done good!! And all the 'bottom 1/9' really doesn't matter, since if it was rainy or something, probably half these people wouldn't have shown up anyway.

You're doing GREAT.