2006/08/22

Day 1 - HH Novice 5 K Training

I reassessed my running goals. In this, what would be the last week of C25K (W9), I am backtracking a little, reducing distance a little so I can build up some endurance. And frankly, I'm a little tired, so I wanted to run less far for a little bit.

So today I began HH Novice 5K Training. It is similar to C25K in that you build gradually each week. It is different in that there are no (stated) walking breaks. So I ran 1.5 miles today in 18:18. I hesitate to even write my mile pace because I have decided to focus on distance now--but ok, I couldn't help but peek, and it's 12:12/mile). The run went fine. I felt ok, maybe a little sore in the quads, so I am glad it was a shorter distance. It was do-able.

So yes, the goals have been re-evaluated. I finished a 5 K. Now I want to walk less, and not so soon if I do end up walking. So I'm shifting things a little bit to focus on distance. A temporary reduction in distance would do my confidence good right about now:-)

Next 5K in October.

5 commentaires:

Wes a dit…

HH is Hal Higdon? I'm doing the Galloway 52 week plan. Quite frankly, you need to give your muscles time to recover after your race. The fact that you are out running at all is fantastic. Just as an personal FYI, Galloway recommends walking early and often. It helps you recover faster and makes your run more enjoyable. Taking a 1 minute walk break as the norm, you can then run 5 hard and walk 1 for short runs, and run 8,9,10 and walk 1 for the long runs, and adjust it as you see fit. It's not carved in stone. I'll see if I can find the stats for you on how a 1 minute walk affects your time. I think you'll be suprised.

When I do my distance runs, I try to keep my heart rate below 140,145 or so, and it translates currently into about 14 minute miles. Long runs are supposed to be aerobic to help build endurance, as you mentioned. Quite frankly, these have been my most enjoyable runs.

boatgirl a dit…

Hey girl. I'm doing a pseudo Galloway and I can definitely feel it on my long runs. Plus, my endurance for the short runs has improved too. Keep up the good work. The key is doing it.

Wes a dit…

Speak of the devil, go check out this blog entry:

http://www.trigeekdreams.com/2006/08/dont-run-on-empty.html

Mrs. Snark a dit…

Very cool to have a new plan! What's funny is that I'm doing Hal Higdon's 15k training plan for my Nov 4 15k (though I have some 5ks between now and then, too)... BUT I'm going to incorporate some steady walking breaks a la Galloway! So MORE walking for me!

MNFirefly a dit…

I can totally relate to your adventures. It took me 2 weeks to get to a no-walk run. You can do it.