2006/08/12

Couch to 5 k: Week 7 - Day 3

The euphoria that should have accompanied my last run (my first non-stop 3.1 miles ever!) was dampened soon after I returned home by some digestive unpleasantness. Is this what happens when you run 3 miles? What did I do wrong? I was a little nervous going into today's run, really conscious of what I put into my body last night, was sure to drink extra water last night and this morning. I have been looking forward to the runs (ha! I just re-read my words--not THOSE runs!), and don't like dreading the run for what *may* happen after, especially with my first 5 K coming next weekend!

So today, I gave myself permission to go less far, and to take two little walking breaks. And somehow, I actually went a little faster, go figure.
2.40 miles
30:00 (12:30/mile)

My 5 K is a week from today!

ETA: Digestive issues returned today, less intense:-( Just googled it and saw that salad the night before is a no-no. Duh. DUH! Ugh. I will figure this out...

5 commentaires:

Neese a dit…

it's sometimes difficult to pin the culprit of those code brown issues. you do know your body best so just think if there is something you ate or maybe ate too much, or it could just be a fluke...

give yourself plenty of time race morning to use the loo as much as possible and you WILL be fine. i still worry about that in the back of my head but fellow runners always say "if it happens it happens, no big deal" and that helps it not happen knowing it's just something that runners deal with.

i can't tell you how excited i am for your first race! YEEEAAAH!

Neese a dit…

p.s.

your blog is looking good :) keep it up!, and i am going to add your to my blogs i visit list

jeanne a dit…

Just be happy it happened AFTER, not during! I'm just sayin...

Did you eat anything differently that morning? I eat the same exact thing: oatmeal, every single morning before I run. Also, definitely make sure you are well-hydrated, since dehydration is one of the causes of this. When it happened to me, I had had milk the night before and that morning. So avoid dairy.

I hate to contradict neese, but um, if it happens during a run, I'm here to tell you, in person, it's a big deal! :)

jeanne a dit…

p.s. congrats on the 3.1!!!! that is AWESOME!

Mrs. Snark a dit…

My tummy sometimes gets a little funky when I get home (I think all that bouncing up and down makes stuff travel faster!). I try to eat early the evening before and I don't eat OR drink anything prior to my morning runs.

Good job on your run! By next Saturday around this time we'll have run our first 5ks!! Whoo hoo!