2006/08/09

Couch to 5 k: Week 7 - Day 2

Today's workout was to run for 25 min.

I wanted to stop at 16:00 today. Then I slowed way, way down. And I realized I only had a few minutes left.

And then something strange happened.

I reminded myself I have my first 5K race in a week and a half. And that I have never actually run 5K. So I slowed down again.

Then the target 25:00 came. Yippee! But I was not looking at my watch, I was slowly jogging. When I saw where I was, I told myself, "Gee, you're almost home, that's the 5 K mark, slow down, girl, and you might be able to run this whole thing."

And I did. 5K!
3.11 miles
39:30 (12:42/mile)

I hope I didn't overdo it. But slowing down so much, I actually felt ok when I finished. And glad that I have gotten my first all-jogging 5K under my belt. I will give myself permission to go only 25 minutes the next workout, though, so as not to do too much too fast.

4 commentaires:

Mrs. Snark a dit…

WHOO HOO!!! That is a great job! Isn't it amazing that the program works? Now you KNOW you will be fine during the race, just maintain YOUR pace.

I'm a little worried about getting swept up in the excitement and going out to fast, so I'll really need to guard against that.

You're going to have to change your title from Wanna-be 5k-er to I Am A 5k-er!

Anne a dit…

I love the new look of your blog.

Meg a dit…

Nice job! You'll do great. Do you have a second event planned? I like thinking about improving from 1 to the next. I am debating about doing another 5k next wed, but it's only a few days before my sprint tri and I don't want to be too ambitious.

Nice work!

boatgirl a dit…

Congratulations on running straight through. I'm sure your PR on the 5K race will be much better. Have fun and remember to not start off to fast...