2007/10/28

Went for 10...did 9

9 miles
2:11:32 (14:36/mile)
Temp: 55ish Humidity: Low, like 40%ish

Trying to pull this run apart. What went wrong?
  • I did the run at lunch time (didn't eat beforehand, had waffles for breakfast hours before).
  • Thought I drank enough H2O last night & this morning, guess not.
  • Beautiful day, 55ish but WINDY!
  • I ran around the track a half mile before I noticed I hadn't hit "START" on the Garmin, duh, bad omen?
  • I am still nursing a cold (now with a cough)
  • I missed my 3 miler in the middle of the week, so I suspect that too had an effect (my legs and gluteous were getting sore from the pounding early, like Mile 3ish, not typical)...

I dunno. Not a confidence builder with the Philly HM in 3 weeks. Hmmm.


The good:
  • Well, I ran 9 miles straight. That's kind of cool, and I need to remember that.
  • I did a butt-kicking HILL around Mile 5, still a new experience for me, oh yeah. I had this sick smirk on my face, telling myself "I LOVE HILLS. I LOVE HILLS" over & over, yeah!

The bad:
  • Labored.
  • Nature called loudly at Mile 8, hence the 9 (not 10) miler
  • My mind was not in it (I just wanted to quit from the beginning, caught myself saying "What the heck have I gotten myself into2 signing up for this HM, what was I THINKING?" Definitely didn't have my head on straight today)
  • Stood in the rain for two hours at Rutgers yesterday after traipsing a few miles to & from car. And RU lost. Probably not great for the cold, eh?

The ugly:
  • Went for 10, made 9. Am doing 13 in 3 weeks. Not optimal.

One more chance next weekend as I see it. Because the following weekend I'll be in Disney with the fam. The weekend after that is the big day.

7 commentaires:

J~Mom a dit…

Hey, you did 9!!! That is fantastic!! You did it girl!!!

Christie a dit…

Hang in there. We all have our off days. You'll be fine in Philly.

Wes a dit…

You'll be awesome! Once you get past 9, the finish is "just" a 5K away ;-)

MNFirefly a dit…

You can do it! Don't doubt yourself. The rest will be all literately downhill. :D

teacherwoman a dit…

Heck, being able to run 9 miles non-stop is pretty impressive to me! nice job!

I heard that it is important to start thinking about your long runs 48 hours before hand... how you eat, sleep, hydrate... just a little tid-bit I heard from another mouse!

Neese a dit…

Happy Halloween!! :o)

jeanne a dit…

i have exactly zero doubt that you will finish the half. ZERO!!

you did 9, you'll do 13.1. And don't forget, there's a lot to be said for race day adrenaline!

You had valid reasons for cutting it a wee bit short today. No worries!