Here are the stats:3 miles 35:56 (11:58/mile)
It was over 60 degrees, 80-something % humidity. Felt like summer. Not your typical Jersey January, that's for sure.
Not an easy run. BUT....I ran one mile then walked one minute. Then ran another mile and walked 2 min. Then ran another mile. No funky heart stuff, but I discovered that even at a "slow" pace (like 12 and 13 mm), my HR spent most of the time in Zone 5. Too high! I thought the thing was malfunctioning, lol. So wonder of wonders, I need to slow down.
Running with the Garmin will be fun, and I expect I'll learn a lot about my body.



9 commentaires:
I'm such a goober I've had my Garmin for several months and haven't used the HRM/strap.. i need to! Is it hard to use?
Can you send some warmer weather up here in the Chicago area? It is warm for this time of the year, but it is still too cold for me to go outside. My poor dog is sad when he sees me put on all my running stuff & then I just go to the basement.
The important thing is to determine your zones properly. They say use 220 minus your age as your max heart rate. That would put mine at 180. I, however, have hit 182 on some of my runs, and so now I use that number instead. I try to stay in zone 3 (aerobic) for my short runs, and zone 2 on my long and recovery runs. With these hills and walk breaks, that's tough.
This calculator is really good for determining your zones. The key is to get your resting heart rate. My resting heart rate is 56.
http://www.marathonguide.com/fitnesscalcs/HeartRate2calc.cfm
The more you run, the more your body will become used to it and it won't take as much effort. Atleast that is the story for me. When I first started running, my heart rate was in the 180-185 zone ALL the time. Now on a nice 3 mile run I can keep it between 164 and 175.
I am jealous of your beautiful new garmin!
Awesome job on the run!!
Ooohhh which Garmin did you get? I definately have one on my birthday list!! I wonder how often I would be above my zone! Great job on your run today!
hey girl you have to come back to my blog and click on the link i added to todays blog entry that says TAGGED ;o)
I'm glad the Garmin is working out (well, helping you while you're working out....) It hit 80 here today, so our warm weather still trumps your warm weather. Nah nah nah nah nah. :-)
I'm jealous of your Garmin, too! I'm at CES right now and spent some time talking to the Garmin folks. I'll post about it when I get some time, which may not be until next week.
You asked about my run/walk ratio. For anything over 3 miles, I run 9 minutes, then walk 1. At the start of my runs it takes almost 15 minutes to reach a mile, which is why I don't run for a mile then walk. Sometimes when I run with runners faster than me I have to drop to 6/1, because I get too winded.
Enregistrer un commentaire