2006/09/03

HH 5K Novice - Week 2, Day 3

Tough run this morning. Still doing run 5/walk 1. Cloudy, hazy Sunday morning, no one was out, lots of branches down after [what was left of] Ernesto's wake went through here yesterday. First 5/1 set was fine. Second 5/1 set was tolerable, but getting difficult. But about 3 minutes into the third set, I just had to walk. So I took a 3 or 4 minute walking break (lost count, can't count in the morning). And ran for maybe the last minute of the run, tried to finish with a little dignity as a runner, you know?

But I was really beating myself up for walking so much--especially when I am already allowing myself one minute walk breaks, grrrr. Telling myself stuff like, how the heck will you ever make it through another 5 K if you can't even run for a stretch of 5 min? How can you call yourself a runner? How the heck will you ever run a Disney Half Marathon (my new ultimate running dream since going to DW with the kiddos & dh this past summer)? Doubts. Lots of 'em.

And then it hit me--dang, it's pretty humid out.

So I get home & check weather before posting my update like I always do, and it is 100% humidity. A HUNDRED PERCENT!

So I am going to lighten up on myself and pat myself on the back for getting up early on a Sunday when everyone else is sleeping in, for putting one foot in front of the other, running OR walking, and just doing it.

So here are the stats:
1.77 miles
21:55 (12:22/mile)

5 commentaires:

Wes a dit…

Shhhh! Don't let this out, but I sometimes insert, one, two, three Run 3/Walk 2 cycles into my running. If that is what I feel like, that is what I do. Now, this blog comment will self destruct in 5 seconds. 5..4..3..2..1..

Meg a dit…

Good come around... nice work.

Thanks for the kudos for the podcast.I had fun with it.

Neese a dit…

just the fact you are out there is so wonderful!!!...sometimes you have to remind yourself that this is a training journey and sometimes you'll walk, sometimes you'll be slower than others, but as long as you keep at it, it will pay off (immediately for having done it) and in the future when you finish that 5k with flyin colors!! you are doing GREAT! :-)

Anne a dit…

I was gonna say....that humidity can be as harsh as a hurricane to run in. It just sucks the life out of you. And if it's any comfort, it was bitter cold the year I ran the Disney Marathon, so humidity shouldn't be an issue. Good luck with the new half marathon goal!

J~Mom a dit…

I totally know what you mean with that thought process. I do that to myself all the time. You did great!!