2007/04/14

13.1



Wanted to do 15, but I had enough fuel in the tank for 13.1. I certainly not disappiointed about that because **I ran 13.1 miles!** ETA: This is my last long run before the HM! Got it in before a Nor'easter hit!

But I definitely hit some sort of "wall" around Mile 7-ish. Legs started to feel like lead. Knees started a dull ache. Weird. Not bad enough to quit, but enough that I certainly wanted to just turn around and go home. But I didn't:-) I just trucked on.

Here is how it played out:
Mile 1 - 12:13
Mile 2 - 12:52
Mile 3 - 13:03
Mile 4 - 13:26
Mile 5 - 13:02
Mile 6 - 12:46
Mile 7 - 12:41
Mile 8 - 13:22
Mile 9 - 12:50
Mile 10 - 12:51
Mile 11 - 13:33
Mile 12 - 13:31
Mile 13 - 13:08
.1 mile - 1:05

All in all, I think I'm ready. I am excited that I worked through some kinks like the bathroom situation (only 1 break at Mile 5, took 5 min, though, have to streamline that a bit more). I also consumed a GU at the 1 hour and 2 hour marks, did't seem to give me the boost I was hoping for--or maybe it got me through a tough run that otherwise would have ended sooner than 13.1. Hmmm.

2 weeks from tomorrow. Peace out.

10 commentaires:

Wes a dit…

I did notice a good bit of soreness and heaviness in my long runs too after my first really long ones... Good news is, you are READY :-) Get some rest, take it easy over the next couple of weeks, and you will do AWESOME!! Yay! Can't wait!!

Neese a dit…

2 weeks you can do it! not many people run 13.1 for the race so you are doing well! nice job, way to truck on past the heaviness!

Anonyme a dit…

have you considered adding gatorade as well? i'm not sure if it will give you a boost, but i know it's good for athletes :). have you tried cliff shots? maybe after the half (make sure you don't try anything knew that day!) try experimenting with different energy things.

what plan did you follow?

Mmem a dit…

Hey, Anónimo, I can sure try a little gatorade. I know they'll have it on the course, but I just never found the exact formula I knew they would be using (Endurance, or something like that). I have not tried Cliff Shots--I am new to the whole endurance thing. This was my first taste of GU! I only tried it since I knew they would have it at the HM.

Don't worry, I'll not try anything new on race day:-)

I followed Galloway's HM mileage plan (first timer, "To Finish"). But I tweaked my r/w intervals and ended up running 9 or 10 min and walking 1 (Galloway recommended I R2/W1, my heartrate was NOT loving that, so I slowed down and kept my HR more elevated for a longer period of time instead of speeding up just to slow down 2 min later!

Thanks for all the input! Keep it coming, everyone:-)

Anonyme a dit…

I agree with Wes, you're definitely ready. Now that the race is so close, don't forget to start planning, and maybe experiments with your pre-race dinner. That meal was one of my big rookie mistakes. Ate waaay too much the night before the HM and felt it all through the race. Not good.

teacherwoman a dit…

Nice job on the HM! Wow! Not that many people actually do a HM before their HM! Wahoo!

jeanne a dit…

fantastic job! you are sooo ready for this race! glad you got the bathroom kinks out. that's the part that i can seem to conquer!

MNFirefly a dit…

Great job!! You can do it!

boatgirl a dit…

Wow. Look where you were and where you are now. That is fantastic. Can't wait to hear more about it.

Bridgette a dit…

I'm so happy I found you! I'm quite slower than my runner friends & it's nice to know that not every one runs at a sub 10-minute mile!